Are you familiar with the French paradox? French people have a very low incidence of heart disease, regardless of a diet that is high in saturated fats. Many researchers believe that the consumption of red wine in France is responsible for this paradox. Red wine is an excellent source of resveratrol and other antioxidants that counter the negative effects of diet, keeping vital organs healthy.
This is yet another reason for enjoying a glass of quality red wine every now and then. Resveratrol is a natural phenol that is linked to longevity, good health and cancer prevention. The substances found in red wine make it perfect for skin health, as well.
Benefits of Wine for the Skin
Science Daily published reports about the findings of cosmetic companies that incorporated red wine powder in their skin treatments. According to the findings, the red wine powder has anti-wrinkle and anti-aging effects.
Such findings have made various day spas and cosmetic salons begin offering wine facials. A wine facial can make the skin clean, smooth and glowing. It proves to be excellent for removing blemishes and closing larger pores. Often, the wine facials are combined with beneficial herbs for even better results.
Red wine is an excellent source of natural polyphenols that are some of the most powerful antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the skin cells from the damage caused by free radicals, hence the anti-aging effect.
Here’s how to do it:
With the last few drops of wine left in the bottle, this little trick may comes handy.
- Pour the left over wine into a glass and grab a cotton pad and dip/soak it in the glass of wine.
- Then, gently massage the soaked-pad over your face and let the mixture sit for about 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off with a tepid water.
- After that, splash your face with cold water or gently rub an ice cube (wrapped in a paper towel or a wash cloth) to close your pores.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer
Red wine varieties are rich in natural alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs). AHAs have anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities that soothe the skin and remove harmful bacteria from the surface. As a result, wine facials can be used to effectively overcome issues like acne and skin irritation.
Can Drinking Red Wine Benefit Your Skin?
- Apart from having wine facials, you should certainly add a glass of high quality red wine to your diet every now and then.
- Studies show that the moderate and responsible consumption of red wine will stimulate the development of new skin cells. This process results in fuller and healthier skin that retains moisture better. Ladies that suffer from dry skin will benefit tremendously from drinking red wine or massaging a little bit of it into the skin.
- Your skin will love your red wine and making your own facial treatments is going to be a really simple task. The natural antioxidants like resveratrol can do miracles in terms of anti-aging, protecting skin and boosting its elasticity.