If you’re throwing away those banana and orange peels, you’re throwing away some excellent nutrients. Surprisingly, many essential nutrients are found in fruit peels.
Stop throwing away those peels and start using them to enjoy the health and beauty benefits they offer. Here’s a closer look at banana peels and orange peels, as well as information on how to use them to enjoy all those great benefits.
When you purchase bananas, and you plan to use the peels, it’s best to go with organic bananas. This way you don’t deal with high levels of pesticides on the peels.
However, if you aren’t able to purchase organic bananas, you can make your own rinse to help remove pesticides. Mix together a cup of water, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of white vinegar. Use it on the banana peels to remove pesticides.
Banana peels contain essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. This means that they offer a variety of health benefits. They also offer beauty benefits and can even be used around the house as a natural cleaning aid. Here are just a few of the ways you can make use of banana peels.
Whiten Teeth Naturally
If you want whiter teeth, rub a banana peel over your teeth for 1-2 minutes. Do this every day for several weeks and you’ll begin to notice that you have a whiter, brighter smile.
Studies show that banana peels can help to absorb copper and lead from river water, which makes the peels a great option if you need to filter these metals out of your water.
Treat Bug Bites
If you get a bug bite, rub banana peels over the bites, which will relieve itching while soothing your skin.
When you get a splinter, tape a small piece of banana peel over the splinter. The enzymes in the peel help to draw the splinter out and helps with healing.
Banana peels can help remove warts and can keep them from coming back too. Use a bit of medical tape to fasten a piece of peel to your wart. Leave it on overnight. Continue this for a week. If you don’t like the idea of sleeping with a banana peel on your body, rub the peel on the warts every day to help remove warts.
Treats Rashes, Scratches and Scrapes
Banana peels help to treat rashes because they relieve itching. The vitamins and antioxidants in banana peels help to promote the healing of scratches and scrapes as well.
All the antioxidants found in banana peels help to fight free radicals and reduce the signs of aging. Regularly rubbing the peels over affected areas can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
If you have acne, rubbing banana peels over the affected area will help to reduce the irritation and inflammation. Gently rub the peel on the affected area before bed. You’ll notice results in a couple of days.
If you have leather shoes, polish them with a bit of banana peel. After rubbing with the peel, use a soft cloth to buff the leather.
Banana peels also do a wonderful job at polishing silver.
Treat a Headache
Whenever you have a headache, take a banana peel and place it on your forehead. It may help to effectively reduce the pain.
Treatment for Bruises
Rub a banana peel over your bruises. The restorative properties of the peel will make the bruise heal a lot faster.
You can even use banana peels to treat problems with psoriasis. A couple times a day, rub a peel over the areas that are affected by psoriasis. The vitamins and minerals in banana peels help to reduce the itching, they moisturize skin and help the areas heal faster. People using banana peel to treat psoriasis usually notice results in just a few days.
If you have leather furniture or leather clothing, use banana peels to help restore the leather. Polish with the banana peel and then buff leather using a soft cloth. However, before using on an expensive leather jacket or leather sofa, test the peel on just a small area first.
If you’re going to use orange peels, try purchasing organic oranges or use the rinse mentioned for banana peels. Orange peels contain many important nutrients that are great for your health, your skin and even cleaning.
Orange peel and apple skin are similar since most of the nutrients and benefits are in the skin of these fruits. According to Rebecca Wood, author of The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia, “One medium orange contains over 60 flavonoids and 170 different phytonutrients.” They are good for your skin, your system and your home too. Here’s a look at some of the ways you can use orange peels.
Medicinal Uses for Orange Peels
- As per Ayurveda, orange peel is tikta (bitter), and it improves digestion and removes sluggishness in the abdomen. It helps to eliminate gas, heartburn, vomiting and acidic eructation. It works well in perking up appetite and relieving nausea.
- Due to its pacifying properties, orange peel powder helps to dissolve phlegm in respiratory systems and alleviate a cough, asthma, etc.
- Beneficiary aspects of orange peels come from its essential oils, which have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties. Essential oil d-limonene has the ability to defuse stomach acids and maintain normal intestinal movements. It also promotes normal liver function.
- Orange peels help to treat the digestive system, improving digestion, reducing heartburn and reducing problems with gas. It may even help relieve problems with nausea and vomiting. It also works to treat asthma, reduce coughing and dissolves phlegm.
- Studies have shown that orange peel can dissolve cholesterol and triglyceride. That means consumption of orange peel can benefit obese persons who have high cholesterol levels. It has a flavonoid known as hesperidin, which is said to be effective against colon cancer and osteoporosis.
- The essential oils in the orange peels have both anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. The essential oils help to keep the intestines moving and maintain the liver functioning normally.
Some researchers even feel that high triglycerides and cholesterol can be treated with orange peel. Orange peels may also help to reduce insomnia and calm nerves.
Beauty Benefits of Orange Peels
Cooking with Orange Peels
You can also cook with orange peel since it adds flavor to many types of dishes. Use orange peels in candies. Add them to foods to increase the amount of vitamin c you get, which will give your immune system a boost.
Throw a few dried orange peels in your brown sugar container – it will absorb any humidity, keeping your brown sugar nice and soft.