Shiny hair is relatively easy to achieve, and the procedure is inexpensive, as well! Can you guess what you need? One of the kitchen staples can be used to get smooth, shiny and silky hair.
This kitchen staple is mayonnaise. Sadly, no matter what the circumstances or our hair type, we all occasionally suffer from damaged hair.
The truth is, with some styling products that we use on a daily basis, hair restoration treatments and techniques have become a part of life.
I tried mayonnaise masks in combination with other ingredients, and I found out that when it came to hair nourishing, mayonnaise and avocado delivered the best results.
Both of these are sources of essential lipids and nutrients that all kinds of hair love. If you want stunning, shiny, smooth, show-stopping hair?
This simple deep conditioning treatment will make your hair feel incredible! That’s because when it comes to hair, mayonnaise and avocado are amazing – you can’t imagine some vitamins and minerals your hair will soak up with these two key ingredients.
You’ll be hooked on this recipe after the first time – I have used it for years and keep coming back to it again and again as it leaves my hair UNBELIEVABLY shiny!
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado (or you can use olive oil, coconut oil or yogurt to the mayonnaise mixture) *optional
- Step #1: Purchase some mayonnaise at your local grocery store. It doesn’t matter which brand you choose, just as long as it is regular mayonnaise. (No need to get the low-fat stuff—it’s going in your hair not in your body!)
- Step #2: Prep your hair using warm water to get it nice and damp, but not soaking wet.
- Step #3: Mix the ingredients and scoop some out and start rubbing it through your hair like you would a conditioner.
The amount that you are going to use depends on the length and thickness of your hair. Feel free to lather on the amount that you feel most comfortable with.
- Step #4: Wrap your head of hair with a plastic wrap, a plastic bag, or shower cap to trap the heat inside.
Heat opens the pores and allows the treatment to penetrate strands further and thus work better.
- Step #5: Let the treatment sit on the hair for at least 20 minutes. You can let it sit longer depending on how damaged your hair already is.
- Step #6: Wash the mayonnaise out. This is most easily done in the shower using a diluted shampoo. You may need to shampoo a few times before you are able to get all of the mayonnaise out. Be sure to use the shampoo gently, not tangling the hair.
Benefits of Mayonnaise and Avocado
Mayonnaise is a wonderful natural conditioner and it contains essential oils that nourish the hair and prevent excessive dryness.
Most mayonnaise varieties contain some vinegar that restores the natural pH of hair and keeps it protected from environmental influences and styling procedures.
Also, mayonnaise is a wonderful source of protein – the building block of hair. A mayonnaise treatment will have to restore properties, making hair stronger and preventing breakage.
Make sure you are getting real, preferably organic mayonnaise for your hair treatments. The low-fat varieties are missing the specific nutrients that your hair needs to be healthy, smooth and amazingly shiny.
Adding avocado to your treatments will increase the nourishing powers of the DIY masks even further.
The avocado is rich in vitamins C, E and K. In addition, it contains potassium, magnesium and folic acid. These vitamins and minerals protect the hair and make it stronger on a cellular level.
There is some evidence that avocado treatments can even be used to prevent hair loss and to help hair grow faster.
Researchers have found out that the combination of beneficial lipids and proteins in avocados can help even in the case of severe alopecia. Avocados are rich in antioxidants, as well, keeping hair cells healthy and protected against oxidative stress.
Commercial treatments that are supposed to make hair very shiny tend to be quite expensive, and they contain a range of chemicals. A simple mayonnaise and avocado treatment can deliver much better results.
You will need just a couple of minutes to make the mask, and I promise you that you will be impressed by the results.