I love some of the new looks for nails, but find waiting at a nail salon for great artwork can be tedious and frankly, I just don’t have the talent or patience to create a work of art.
That was, however, until I tried creating fantastic looking nails using the newspaper. Any section of the paper is fair game.
If you’re in a position that involves finance, use the stock market quotes. For a fun and playful look, I turned to the comic section. For a dramatic look, burn the edges of the paper a bit first. I do avoid the obituaries, however, and big block letters found on advertising since they don’t come out well.
- top coat
- nail polish (you can try it in grey, white or pink). It works the best on white as words of the newspaper are more clear
- newspaper cut into 10 small pieces
- alcohol or water
- base coat
- You’ll need to start with a few base coats of white polish. Pale pink can work, as well as pearl or light grey, but for high contrast, white is stunning
- Use a small cup or cap to an old bottle, such as mouthwash, that’s deep enough to submerge your entire nail. Fill it with any type of alcohol (you can use water as well). I used rubbing alcohol because the prints come out slightly stronger, but others have used vodka or other spirits. Be prepared with ten pieces of newspaper that are larger than your nails.
- And here comes the little trick!
Dip your nail into the alcohol for about six to seven seconds, insuring you cover the entire nail.
- Take it out and quickly proceed to put the cut newspaper on the nail, pressing down with the thumb for not more than 5-6 seconds and remove the paper.
While pressing, I applied some alcohol on the newspaper also. Do not remove it before the 5-6 seconds mark or else the ink won’t transfer to the nail and do not leave it more than that or else the nail polish will probably stick to the newspaper.
- Finish your nails by applying a clear topcoat to protect your work. I love using the comics, but also find the burnt newsprint is interesting. The more you do this, the more ideas you’ll get. It’s one way I can get a great design without ever visiting a nail salon.
Tip:The key is to do a couple of nails at a time. You want the nail polish to be tacky, neither dry nor wet, for the print to transfer.
- I used rubbing alcohol but you can also use water as well, some people have even used mouthwash!
- Keep a cotton pad with remover at hand so you can quickly wipe away any mistakes. A couple I tried didn’t work out very well, but the newspaper ink wipes away quite easily.
- Once you apply the newspaper to your nail, don’t move it or your letters will get blurred. Just gently roll your finger over the nail.
- If the paper isn’t wet enough, just add another drop of alcohol with your finger.
- Make sure your letters are all the right way up.
Watch the Video Here: