Beautiful scalp translates into a beautiful hair. Unfortunately, I was excluded from the group of people blessed with perfectly healthy and clear scalp skin.
Dandruff is a common issue, especially if I fail at getting the right kind of shampoo. The results go beyond what you see in the anti-dandruff shampoo ad “before” footage.
Through my experiments, I found out that anti-dandruff shampoos are capable of doing a lot of damage. The chemicals can easily irritate the skin or make it dryer than usual.
This was when I began researching natural alternatives. Many possibilities exist, regardless of the specifics of your problem. Let me list some of the best natural remedies – give those a try to see how they affect your scalp health.
Dandruff Remedies for Oily Scalps (4 Options)
Many people believe that dry skin is the only cause of dandruff but people that have oily skin are also prone to experiencing the problem.
Excessive oiliness could create the right conditions for yeast infections that will result in dandruff.
- To reduce the oiliness, mix together 2 tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Massage it into your scalp; leave on for 20 minutes, then shampoo and condition normally.
Apple cider vinegar has anti-septic and anti-bacterial qualities. It will unclog the pores and help you overcome the excessive oiliness.
- Mix together 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 4 tablespoons of gram flour; add enough water to make a thick paste. Massage this paste onto your scalp and leave it on for approximately 30 minutes before shampooing.
- Fresh lemon juice is also great for reducing excessive oiliness. Mix one part of fresh lemon juice with two parts of warm coconut oil.
Massage this mixture onto your scalp; leave on for at least an hour before you shampoo. Added bonus: this dandruff remedy also helps premature graying.
- Add 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar) to a cup of warm water. Rinse your hair with this mixture after shampooing.
It will help treat dandruff, dissolve excess oil deposits on your scalp, strip out any shampoo or styling product residue from your hair and infuse the shine back into dull strands.
Dandruff Remedies for Dry Scalps (3 Options)
People that have a dry scalp can find it very difficult to get rid of dandruff through the use of commercial cosmetics. The right remedy should moisturize the scalp and prevent the skin from becoming flaky.
- Combine 4 tablespoons of jojoba oil with 1/2 teaspoon of tea tree oil and massage into wet hair. Leave on for half an hour, then shampoo and condition normally.
- Mix together 1 teaspoon of plain salt with 1 cup of yogurt; massage into your scalp. Leave for half an hour, then rinse your hair with plain water.
- Massage a warm mixture of equal quantities mustard and almond oils into your scalp. Leave this on for at least an hour, then shampoo as normal. This dandruff remedy also effectively treats hair loss.