If you have interest in natural methods for getting the perfect skin, you have certainly heard about icing (ice facial). The process is as simple, as rubbing an ice cube in your face each morning but what could you expect to achieve besides getting chilly cheeks and the perfect redness without the use of a blush?
There are various skin care treatments based on the use of cold therapy. Additionally, the women of many traditional societies have been using skin icing to maintain their beautiful and youthful complexion. Skin icing is a regular practice in the skin care routine for Korean women, who are known for their detailed beauty rituals.
Many ladies who tried the ice cube facial, swear that it can be used to freshen up the facial skin, to slow down the appearance of the first wrinkles, to improve circulation and reduce acne-related redness. I will take you through all of the essentials and the little secrets that will help you make the most of cold skin treatments.
Proponents of Skin Icing Believe it Can be Used to:
- Refresh the face
- Fight the formation of wrinkles
- Fight acne and heal blemishes
- Promote blood circulation, thereby giving skin a healthier appearance
How to do the Ice Facial?
The ice facial is such a basic and inexpensive procedure that every lady can give it a try. If you have acne-prone skin, you will get to enjoy this facial a lot.
Do the facial immediately after you wake up in the morning. You can have an ice cube facial in the evening, as well. Begin by doing your regular face cleanser. Get a piece of gauze or a soft washcloth. Put several ice cubes inside and wrap those with the fabric.
The ice will begin to melt, thus dampening the washcloth. This is when you need to apply it to the face. Place it in a particular spot and hold it there for a minute or two. Next, move on to the next part of the face that you want to treat.
If you want to improve the effects of the facial even further, you can move the ice cubes around in gentle circles. This option is perfect for improving circulation even further. Once you are done, you can apply a moisturizer to your skin.
The Main Benefits of the Ice Cube Facial
By doing the ice cube facial each morning, I noticed tremendous improvement in my complexion and the youthfulness of my skin. Here are the most important benefits of the facial treatment:
① Smoother Skin
The coldness of the ice will minimize the pores and make the skin tighter and a lot smoother. This is a great option for toning the face and improving the appearance of the skin.
② Pore Primer
Icing is an inexpensive skin toner and is great to do before applying makeup. It minimizes the appearance of enlarged pores underneath the makeup, helping foundation look smoother and flawless. Ice the face and then apply primer.
③ Better Circulation
Proper circulation is the key to having beautiful, elastic skin. Cold constricts the blood vessels so that less blood goes to the surface of the skin (which reduces any inflammation or swelling). The massage and the coldness of the ice work together to stimulate better circulation and to keep the skin properly nourished.
④ Reduce Puffiness
Overall face puffiness in the morning or puffiness underneath the eyes can easily be addressed with icing. The ice will decrease the swelling almost instantaneously.
⑤ Decrease the Appearance of Wrinkles
Have the first fine lines appeared on your face? If the answer is positive, you should definitely try icing because it decreases the prominence of the wrinkles and slows down the skin aging process.
⑥ Blemish Control
Ice can help reduce swelling and the redness of pimples. It also soothes irritated skin. Use ice cubes on blemishes at the first sign of a pimple to slow inflammation. This can help reduce the size and number of blemishes. You can hold the ice on acne for a few seconds or until the area feels a little numb. Ice the blemishes every other night.
A Few Additional Tips and Suggestions
Do you have a serious problem with acne? Calm down and run to the fridge. The ice cube facial is perfect for reducing the prominence of the pimples and for stimulating faster skin healing.
- To treat acne, use the ice cube without wrapping it in the fabric. Gently press the ice against the affected area. Rub the skin and keep on doing that for a couple of minutes. Once you are done, you can use your regular anti-acne treatment to increase the efficiency of the ice cube facial even further.
- It is important to never use an ice cube immediately after taking it out of the freezer. Allow it to start melting before touching your skin. Extreme cold can make capillaries in the skin break. Ladies that have broken capillaries should avoid the ice cube facial or they should use the ice for a shorter period of time.
- To get even greater benefits of the ice cube facial, you can freeze water that is infused with rose water, chamomile tea or aloe vera. Use this liquid for making ice cubes – you will get the benefits of the ice facial and the ones produced by the application of these nourishing essences.
How to “Freeze” the Appearance of Pimples
- Gently rub the ice cube over the affected area were the acne treatment will be applied to cool the skin.
- Rub the ice over the area for about two to three minutes or until the skin is wet and feels cold to the touch.
- Be careful to not hold the ice cube on the skin too long which can freeze the skin.
The cold helps reduce inflammation that has clogged the pores with swelling. Swollen skin makes it difficult for topical creams to reach the bacteria inside the pores.
By reducing the inflammation the pores will open (i.e. they will be unclogged). This also helps keep the other pores from getting clogged, thereby reducing the appearance of new blemishes.
Photo Credit: worldwidehealth