Who doesn’t love French fries? All of the delicious crispiness turns them into the perfect appetizer or side dish but there is one major problem.
French fries are far from the healthiest nutritional pick, especially if you are trying to lose weight.
I have tried several alternatives and searched high and low for recipes that will turn a healthy product into something equally delicious.
How do you feel about roasted cauliflower? Most people will respond by raising an eyebrow. Cauliflower is as far from French fries, as you can go. I. however, have an amazing roasted cauliflower recipe that everybody falls in love with.
This recipe is incredibly easy to execute and it results into something almost as finger-licking, as those French fries. I am going to share the basic recipe but you are free to modify it and experiment with the spices.
This way, you can come up with a roasted cauliflower seasoning that is better suited to the taste of your family.
- 1 large cauliflower (or several small ones), ~2 lbs
- Curry powder
- Olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 450-500 degrees. This is the most important prerequisites for cooking success. Break the cauliflower up into florets and wash these thoroughly. Allow them to dry and put them in a large bowl.
- Drizzle sufficient quantities of olive oil and sprinkle the salt and curry powder on top. The curry powder can be substituted with any favorite herb or spice (thyme, paprika and oregano are just three possibilities). Make sure that the olive oil and the seasoning are both distributed evenly.
- Put the cauliflower florets into a baking pan and cover it with aluminum foil. The covered cauliflower will steam cook and become soft. Keep it in the over for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and put the baking pan back in the oven. This way, you will allow the cauliflower to caramelize and become a bit crispy. Stir occasionally to make all of the florets caramelize evenly.
- Adjust salt to taste (you will probably need another sprinkle) and serve.
The entire cooking process should last approximately 30 minutes. Take the cauliflower out of the oven and enjoy it while it is still hot.
I have made this side dish/appetizer for many of my friends and all of them requested the recipe.
The best part about it is that the roasted cauliflower can be made by everyone, even people that have limited or no cooking experience at all.