Maintaining an oral hygiene should rank high on any priority list, given the fact that the benefits are numerous and the risks are too great to ignore. The cost of medical procedures count in the thousands of dollars and the associated pain preceding and sometimes resulting from these procedures can be unbearable.
It goes without saying that prevention is vastly superior to treatment, so the obvious solution appears to be a shopping spree focused on toothpaste, toothbrushes and dental floss.
This is a very popular take among people who are concerned about their oral hygiene and they are generally right to add those items to their shopping list.
There is a superior alternative though, which is not only less expensive but also fun, without being time-consuming. Strange as it might sound to make your own toothpaste, this is something that savvy people with a do-it-yourself approach are already doing.
Why Make Your Own Natural Toothpaste?
Aside from the money you’ll save, creating your own gives you a feeling of accomplishment thus allowing you to skip all the nasty ingredients commercial toothpaste is made of. And yes, its so simple to prepare and takes around 5 minutes to create.
The ingredients are all natural and as inexpensive as they get because buying baking soda, fine sea salt, essential oils and peppermint extract won’t set you back more than a couple of dollars.
These are the active ingredients that need to be thrown into the mix in the right quantities, but there is no shortage of homemade recipes out there.
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt (this is optional – direct application of the minerals in sea salt is great for teeth, but if you don’t like the salinity, you can omit this one)
- 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or you can add your favorite essential oil *optional)
- filtered water (adjust to your desired consistency)
(**Tip** you can use as much or as little peppermint or another flavor as you desire. Add the flavoring gradually until you reach an amount that suits your needs.)
How to Do it:
* Grab all the ingredients like baking soda, salt (optional) and peppermint (or your favorite essential oil).
* Mix altogether while adding the water little by little thus stirring after each addition, until paste reaches desired consistency.
* Now you are ready to get rid of that bad breath.
It is OK to get creative as long as you brew small quantities because even failed experiments can be fun. Those who discover something new and revolutionary are invited to share their homemade toothpaste with the comments below.