Aesthetics alone should be a reason to do everything in our power to get rid of varicose veins, but there are plenty of health related arguments in favor of such action. Men and women alike suffer from this condition and many only visit a doctor when the situation turns severe. Meanwhile, they try to conceal the problem hoping that the situation will improve or at least stagnate, but this is of course nothing more than wishful thinking. Visually they are terrible and in most of the cases, they also cause pain and a great deal of discomfort, so there is no point in ignoring their existence.
What are the causes
One of the causes is hereditary and given the fact that there is very little to do if your family has a history of varicose veins, you shouldn’t beat up yourself too much. One reason for why this problem occurs is that the blood isn’t pushed back to the heart fast enough and some fluid accumulates in the veins. When the symptoms become obvious and women see that the legs are swelling, and develop tenderness around the affected area, there is no doubt that this is the work of varicose veins. Hormonal imbalances are once again a leading cause for this affliction, but they can be treated or at least managed with medication.
Other Causes of Varicose Veins and Spider Veins:
- Prolonged standing, especially combined with over-weight.
- Taking birth control pills
- History of blood clots.
- Wearing tight hosiery
- Circulation problems
- Hormonal influences during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause
- Sudden weight rise during pregnancy
- Postmenopausal hormonal replacement.
How to Get Rid of Varicose/Spider Veins – Naturally
Basically, to get rid of spider veins, you’ll need to boost overall circulation in the affected area and your entire body, maintain healthy weight and avoid some factors that contribute to the formation of more spider veins in the future.
And this is how it’s done:
1Step #1 – Natural Topical Remedies
If you have any kind of burning and itching, there are many topical remedies that really help ease the symptoms. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, these remedies help shrink those vicious little veins effectively.
For best results, apply your chosen remedy twice a day – Morning and night.
- a.) Lemon Oil
Lemon oil has vessel-strengthening properties that can help fight varicose and spider veins. Mix 2 to 3 drops of lemon essential oil with jojoba, avocado or almond oil and massage the affected area.
- b.) Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV helps to increase circulation to your spiderweb. It can help diminish the appearance of the spider veins if you commit.
Saturate a cloth with apple cider vinegar (I recommend Bragg’s with the “mother”) and apply it as a compress directly to your spider veins then lie down and apply the cloth directly to the area where the varicose veins exist. Allow the cloth to remain in place for at least 20 minutes or half an hour to allow the ACV to settle into your skin and then remove.
Repeat twice a day for at least 2 weeks, or until you can no longer see the veins.
- c.) Mustard Oil
Mustard oil is another effective circulation-booster. Apply a few drops of Mustard Oil blended with carrier oil to the area twice a day.
- d.) Witch Hazel Tea/Tincture
Witch Hazel is a powerful astringent and will help shrink those spider-buggers faster than you think. Dip a few leaves of Witch Hazel in hot water for a few minutes. Let cool a little and place on the veins, for at least 15 minutes, twice a day.
- e.) Horse Chestnut Seeds
Combine ten parts distilled Witch Hazel with one part tincture of horse chestnut and apply this mixture externally to the affected areas, twice a day. This is one of the most “praised” remedies by people with chronic spider veins.
The herb Horse Chestnut is well known to support varicose veins. You can find this in your health food stores. You can use the tea or the extract. Some studies have shown that you can even use the extract as a topical ointment where you notice the varicose veins. The dose is 250 to 312 mg. twice a day and then reduce the dosage as you see improvement. But I have to warn you, horse chestnut can have side effects and it’s best to consult a Natural Health Practitioner when starting this remedy. Serious allergy is uncommon but you can get a mild reaction of itching, nausea or gastrointestinal upsets. Of course, like any remedy, when some people see results they tend to increase dosage and end up experiencing liver problems. So be cautious and consult a Health Care Professional if you decide to try this.
- f.) Oak Bark Tea
Oak Bark is so powerful that it even helps with the most severe cases of varicose veins. So for spider veins it’s even more likely to work.
Soak 3 teabags of Oak Bark in hot water for a few minutes, and then strain the finished tea. Dip a cotton flannel in the tea and wrap around your spider veins. Find a way to attach it to the area and leave it on for a whole night.
Repeat for a week and be amazed by the results.
2Step #2 – Boosting Circulation & Reinforce the Walls of your Veins
The two best ways to boost circulation throughout your body are exercising (the right type of exercise) and taking herbal remedies that increase blood flow.
Low intensity exercises, such as walking, swimming and “gentle” biking are the best kind for spider veins elimination. Exercise that involves sudden pressure on the veins (such as running, rebounding, lifting weights) should be avoided.
Herbs that Boost Circulation and Strengthen Veins
There are a few extremely effective herbs to boost circulation, while at the same time strengthen the “walls” of your veins and making them more flexible.
But, as with any other remedy, natural or not, check with your doctor first if you take any other medication or have a chronic illness (such as hypertension, or diabetes) to make sure it’s safe for you.
- 1. Horse Chestnut Seeds – Clinical studies have shown that horse chestnut improves circulation in the legs, decreases inflammation, and strengthens the capillaries and veins. Look for an extract that provides a daily dosage of 50 milligrams of aescin, a key component that strengthens capillaries.
- 2. Other herbs that improve circulation and strengthen veins are Witch Hazel, Bayberry, nettle, grape seed extract, Cayenne pepper, ginger and Turmeric.
The Vitamin B group is also known to be helpful in increasing blood flow and strengthen veins.
- 3. Compression Stockings – Compression socks are well-known as effective tools to remove and prevent spider veins and varicose veins. For prevention use the low-pressure socks. For treatment use the higher-pressure socks.
You don’t need a prescription to wear compression stockings but only your doctor will be able to tell you how long you need to wear them to reduce the appearance of spider veins.
3Step #3 – Lifestyle Changes
- Elevate the foot area of your bed. An easy way to reduce pressure on your legs is elevate them above your heart. You can easily do this by stacking 2 large books under each leg of your bed.
This way, as opposed to using a pillow, you legs are still elevated even when you toss and turn.
- Try to NOT sit or stand for long. If your job requires sitting or standing a lot, there are great solutions out there.
For example, for prolonged standing use an anti-fatigue mat. You won’t believe how great you’ll feel, even after cooking for hours standing in the same place.
- Get Spicy – Try to incorporate spicy foods in your daily diet, such as Cayenne Pepper, ginger root, turmeric root, onions and garlic.
- Be More Physically Active – I think that everyone can free up a half an hour to go outside and walk. But if you really can’t, try to be more active in other ways, like avoiding elevators.
- Avoid alcohol. It’s a notorious inflammation enhancer.
How I got Rid of My Spider Veins in 2 Weeks
Obviously, you can’t use all of these remedies at the same time. You have to try (and error…) until you find what works for you.
Here’s what I did to get rid of my spider veins in 2 weeks:
- A 40-minute walk every morning (so much fun!)
- Mustard oil + Lemon oil topically twice a day.
- Oak bark compress every other night.
- Added 1 tbsp of Cayenne Pepper, one slice of Ginger and 1 slice of fresh turmeric root to my daily Green Juice.
- Elevated the foot of my bed.
After 2 weeks, my spider veins were hardly even noticeable anymore. This was 2 months ago and no new ones appeared.