My skincare routine involves the regular use of face scrubs. It is quick, simple, and it always leaves my skin feeling soft and looking rosy!
Cosmetic stores are full of so many possibilities, yet I enjoy making my own pampering treatments at home. The lemon sugar face scrub is one of my all-time favorites. It has amazing skin cleansing effects and it smells amazing, as well!
The treatment combines the exfoliating properties of sugar and the mild acidity of lemon juice however, it has added benefits for anyone with age spots or freckles because the Alpha-Hydroxy acids and Beta-Hydroxy acids of lemons aid in lightening the hyper pigmentation, which can help to reduce and even eliminate freckles and blotchy, brown discolorations (sometimes called “age spots” or “liver spots”).
This powerful and effective combination promotes the removal of dead skin cells, thus unclogging the pores and making skin clearer and smoother. Lemon is rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that keeps skin cells protected from oxidative stress.
Benefits of Lemon Juice
The main purpose of any face scrub is to remove dead skin cells – one of the leading causes of acne.
Lemon is great for addition to all kinds of scrubs because of the citric acid it contains. Citric acid is a mild, yet very effective exfoliant. This is why lemon juice can be considered a mild chemical peel.
Lemon has additional amazing benefits. Vitamin C is vital for skin health. It stimulates collagen production, leaving the skin brighter and healthier. Vitamin C improves skin texture and can also be used to overcome issues like the appearance of dark spots.
Benefits of Sugar
Eating a lot of sugar is a really bad idea but your skin will love the gentle exfoliation that the crystals provide! Sugar is a natural exfoliant and a source of glycolic acid.
These two characteristics make it perfect for removing dead skin cells, lightening sun spots and evening out the skin tone. Sugar is also a natural astringent – it can tighten pores and brighten your complexion. With it, you can improve your overall skin texture, as well as fade acne marks and scars.
I have tried the scrub on my facial skin but it is also great for removing dead skin cells from the body. The scrub is ideal for feet, knees, elbows, hands and other spots you might want to exfoliate and soften.
Make sure to use it once or twice per week and you will soon notice a visible improvement in your overall complexion.
- 2 Cotton Rounds (A wash cloth will work too)
- Lemon Juice, either fresh or the little plastic lemons.
- A pinch of sugar (brown or white cane sugar)
- Begin with a clean face ( rinsing your face with warm water to open the pores helps )
- Soak the cotton round in lemon juice.
- Sprinkle sugar on top of the lemony soaked cotton round.
- Pat onto face and scrub gently, in circular motions, until the sugar begins to dissolve ( about 3-5 minutes ). Rinse off with warm water then splash with cool water to ensure those pores tighten up!
Here are a few tips. Make sure you scrub close to the hair line where a lot of oils from your scalp will fall. Remember to scrub around your lips to remove dead skin and residual make up.
Finally, despite its sweet appeal I assure you this does not taste like lemonade.
Stuff to Know:
- If your skin is highly sensitive, dilute the lemon juice with water by a 1:1 ratio.
- If your skin is extremely dry, add a tsp of coconut oil to the mix.
- Spot test any products or ingredients before using any homemade products on your face, head, or body, especially if you have sensitive skin or are prone to irritation and/or allergies.