Women are very sensitive about their lives and it is perfectly not be so, but some issues are more than a fad and require undivided attention. A dark upper lip shadow is more than a nuisance and when the rare and otherwise invisible hair turns dark, it gets virtually impossible not to notice and can ruin the aesthetics.
Causes of Dark Upper Lip Shadow
There is more than one cause for darker upper lips, but when there is something else than genetics and ethnicity behind this condition, there are plenty of immediate and inexpensive cures. Pregnancy is known to have a significant effect on the women’s body and darker upper lips are frequently referred to as the mask of pregnancy. While this condition is only temporary, it can be every bit as frustrating and the same effects are generated by hormone replacement therapy.
While both causes listed above are intimately related to hormonal changes, so are the multiple birth control solutions used nowadays. Furthermore, a plethora of medical conditions are known to have the side effect and that’s why it is worth consulting a physician if these symptoms are sudden. Not surprising, exposure to sun rays causes over-pigmentation and the upper lip is no exception, but there are also lifestyle habits, such as smoking, drinking a lot of tea, wine or coffee that leads to darker upper lips.
- Pregnancy – 70% of expectant women experience what is known as the ‘mask of pregnancy.’ Darker pigmentation occurs on the skin of the face around the upper lip, cheeks, nose and forehead . This condition takes place when the pregnancy causes the release of hormones.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy – Discoloration of the upper lip may happen when a woman takes hormonal replacement therapy drugs, which causes hormonal changes in the body.
- Birth Control – Since birth control affects hormone levels, discoloration of the upper lip can occur. Some women will switch their birth control method to avoid hyper-pigmentation.
- Medical Conditions – There are some medical conditions that cause skin on the face (including the upper lip) to experience darkened pigmentation or dark hair growth. An example includes polycystic ovary syndrome, which causes accelerated facial hair growth in women.
- Overexposure to Sunlight – Spending too much time in the sun can darken the skin above the lip.
- Hair Growth – All women have hair on their face – even if it is faint and not noticeable. However, as some women age, they may experience hair growth that darkens – especially if they possess a genetic makeup that is prone to growing dark-colored hair.
- Lifestyle Habits – Women who drink alcohol or smoke tobacco products can cause a reaction that makes the upper lip appear darker. Darkening of the upper lip may also take place in those who drink a lot of coffee, tea, and/or red wine.
While all women have a little hair on the upper lip, those who are upset by the fact that theirs is of a darker hue, can use lemon juice as bleach and let it sit for 15 minutes before rinsing as usual. It is natural, therefore doesn’t have the corrosive effect of its chemical counterpart and can lighten the hair a couple of shades.
2Lemon Juice and Honey
If you are sold on using lemon juice for lightening up facial hair, you will probably embrace the concept of throwing honey into the mix. Just mix equal parts of honey and lemon and apply to to the affected area. Leave it for 15 minutes and rinse it off. It will not only deal with the hair but also heal scars and blemishes that can have a nasty visual effect.
Cucumber juice also acts as a soothing agent for skin that has been over-bleached and can help clear up the darker pigmentation on the upper lip. Grate cucumber and use a washcloth to squeeze out the juice and add few drops of lime/lemon to maximize the result. Grab a cotton pad and soak it into the mixture and apply to the dark areas of the upper lip. 15 minutes should be enough and you can safely rinse it after a quarter of an hour, but remember to repeat the procedure to achieve the best results.
Usually when sun is the problem, sunscreen is the solution and the same goes for dark upper lip hair, as your main challenge is to limit exposure. Rely on sunscreen with a high protection factor to maximize the effects and never leave your home on a sunny day without it on.
The juice of cilantro is every bit as effective as the one extracted from cucumber and it is supposed to be applied in the same way. Add one cup of cilantro to a blender with a small amount of water. Blend the contents and then strain the juice using a fine sieve. Before going to bed, dip a cotton ball in the juice and spread across your upper lip. For a stronger effect, leave it on throughout the night and repeat the process daily to see results. Store the remaining juice in a glass container and put it inside the fridge.
6Chickpeas Face Mask
Gram flour (which is made of chickpeas), lemon juice and turmeric all have natural bleaching abilities, while the milk cream leaves skin silky smooth and can be used as an ingredient in a facial mask that can lighten the skin above the upper lip.
Combine chickpeas with a bit of turmeric and few drops of lemon juice as well as few drops of dairy cream to create the ultimate facemask. Apply the mixture on your face, let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse it off with water. It will quickly lighten up the upper lip on and it won’t hurt the skin in the process, not to mention that the mixture is easy to make.
7Wear a Hat and Block the Sun
As said in one of the above paragraphs, Sun is among the leading causes for hyperpigmentation and it is your responsibility to minimize its effect. Use a hat, an umbrella or any source of shade you can lay your hands upon, to make sure that your skin won’t darken and your upper lip hair will remain invisible.
Grab 2 carrots and put it on a blender, strain the juice with sieve and dip a cotton ball into the juice and apply the liquid over the affected area on daily basis. The natural juice will lighten up the area. You can safely allow it to dry on the lips when going to sleep and rinse it off in the morning. Store the leftover juice in the fridge for future use.
9Shea Butter and Lip Balm
The same goes for shea butter which produces the best results if left overnight, but if you don’t have any of it available, you can achieve similar results by using lip balm.
10Curb Your Vices
It is never easy to change your habits, but if you know that your lifestyle is one of the causes for darker lip hair, it makes perfect sense to reduce the intake of coffee and wine while cutting down on cigarettes.
Coriander is one of the most aromatic plants that can go into a cup of tea, but the juice is also great at treating dark skin above the lip and healing the area. Grind the coriander leaves or put in a blender while adding just a small amount of water. Strain the liquid using sieve and before going to bed, apply the juice to your upper lip for a minimum time period of 15 days. Not only should the coriander treat darkened skin above the lip, but also address dullness.
DISCLAIMER: The information listed here is purely for informational purposes. Always consult with your health care professional before starting any nutritional, herbal, homeopathic, or dietary supplement program.