Did you know that sweet potato is good for your skin? Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins that aide even skin tone and fight the signs of aging.
This nutrient-packed veggie is mother natures very own skin lightening and wrinkle-fighting secret. Packed with beta-carotene this anti-oxidant helps fight free radicals inside and outside the body.
Benefits of the Ingredients
Packed with a slew of potent wrinkle-fighting nutrients, notably Vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) which reduces redness and swelling by “buffering” the free-radical release of white blood cells.
Sweet potato protects your skin free radicals from pollution and UV exposure to stop visible signs of premature skin aging. It also contains Vitamin C, which is famously known to improve skin firmness while softening fine lines and wrinkles on the mature skin.
The deep skin-moisturizing qualities of sour cream and coconut oil found in this homemade sweet potato face mask recipe help boost skin hydration, leaving you with skin that feels supremely smooth and elegantly soft to the touch.
This oh-so-relaxing sweet potato facial mask benefits all skin types and is especially great if your skin is seriously dry, scaly and flaky due to winter’s harsh cold weather and around-the-clock indoor heating.
Furthermore, it also doubles as an incredibly moisturizing mask to nourish and revive severely dry, chapped hands.
You will need:
- 1/2 peeled, boiled sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 tbsp sour cream (or plain yogurt, whole fat milk)
- 1 tsp raw honey
Prep your Face:
- Before you get too excited, I want you to prepare your face by following these two simple steps. First, remove all makeup and wash your face with a mild cleanser.
- Then do a facial steam to open pores on your face and allow the sweet potato mask to penetrate deep into your skin.
- Fill a medium saucepan with water and brought it to the boil. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl if you like.
- Add 1-2 drops lavender oil for an extra relaxing steam (optional). Lean over the steam, covering your head with a towel to trap the steam, for 5-10 minutes.
- Gently pat dry and now you are ready for your DIY sweet potato facial.
① Peel your sweet potato with a swivel peeler and boil for about 15 minutes or until it falls apart with a fork. Don’t toss the cooking water; you can use it as a foot soak to soften dry rough heels.
② Place in a food processor or blender (or you can just mix all the ingredients thoroughly using spoon or fork), then add coconut oil, sour cream, and honey. Blend until you have an extremely smooth texture.
③ Glide onto your clean, very eager face and neck. Make sure to keep the eye area clear. Lie down, relax and wait for 20 minutes before you rinse off. Apply your favorite toner and moisturizer to lock in softness.
For Youthful Skin:
Water left after boiling sweet potatoes works as a wonder toner for the skin that helps absorb impurities, deep cleansing your pores and soothing irritated skin. Vitamin C helps produce collagen necessary for healthy skin tone and elasticity.
Vitamin E improves complexion, providing flawless skin. Anthocyanin helps reduce pigmentation and has anti-inflammatory properties that will help in getting rid of dark circles, wrinkles, and puffiness of eyes.
You can store the leftover water of sweet potatoes in the fridge for a week but discard if it smells rancid. To apply, just grab a cotton ball or pad and soak it in the mixture and apply to your face or under eye. No rinse needed.