Many DIY beauty treatments sound great but end up failing when you try them. However, if you’re looking for a DIY treatment that heals acne scars, honey, and nutmeg & will deliver the results you want, offering a fragrant, soothing treatment that effectively treats those scars.
Both nutmeg and honey have significant curative properties that reduce swelling, inflammation and help with infection prevention.
These ingredients may even promote the growth of new skin, resulting in acne scars that are less visible and smoother. The best part is that a honey and nutmeg mask is cheap and easy, especially when compared to the price you’d pay for a commercial acne scar treatment.
Cinnamon is a Natural Exfoliant
Cinnamon has been used for thousands of years as an antiseptic, astringent, anti-fungal and anti-viral aid, among its many other uses. Additionally, cinnamon is an exfoliant and can stimulate the pores, thus helping other ingredients to work on the skin as well.
Effects of Honey
Honey also offers some important benefits and has been used for centuries to treat various medical conditions. Studies show that honey has antibacterial properties and promotes the healing of wounds as well.
When honey is used on acne, it can reduce swelling and eliminate infections. This helps reduce the healing time of acne. Honey may also help to smooth and soothe scars from acne.
Effects of Nutmeg
Nutmeg is an important part of this acne scar treatment because it includes several substances that work on skin, including Myristica fragrans. According to studies, this substance has both antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Nutmeg has long been used in Ayurvedic medicine as well for its anti-inflammatory and astringent properties, offering a longtime treatment for various skin conditions. Nutmeg works to reduce swelling and infection around acne affected areas, which can help prevent and treat scars.
Tips and Warnings
- Before you start using the honey and nutmeg mask, there are a few tips and warnings you need to consider.
- First, those with sensitive skin need to be careful with nutmeg, since it is a very strong astringent. If you have sensitive skin, test the mask on a small area of skin first to ensure it doesn’t irritate skin.
- You may also want to reduce the time you leave the mask on your skin. Following the mask with a good moisturizer may help to reduce irritation from the mask.
- It’s also important to note that the mask could stain clothing, so be careful when applying the mask.
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 or 2 tsp raw honey
- a few drops of jojoba oil for moisture (olive oil or vitamin E will work too but this is optional)
How to Make a Honey Nutmeg Mask
If you want to treat your acne scars with a honey, nutmeg mask, you’ll find that this mask is extremely easy to make.
① You’ll need a teaspoon of honey and 1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg + 1/2 a tsp of cinnamon. Combine the the ingredients, stirring to combine.
② After making the mask, gently apply it to the affected area. Allow the mask to dry on the face, letting it sit for about 30 minutes.
③ Carefully wash away the mask with warm water.
④ This mask can be applied after breakouts or when breakouts occur. Avoid rubbing the mask into skin, especially if you have sensitive skin.
⑤ Use the mask no more than 2-3 times per week for the best results. You should notice results within a couple of weeks.