One of my all-time favorite treatments when my skin is going crazy, is this Lemon, Honey and Baking Soda mask. I love this mask, because it’s natural, inexpensive, and very effective. Lemon helps to brighten your overall complexion and help fade dark spots, baking soda gently exfoliates and softens skin, and honey is a natural antibacterial agent that helps to heal, soothe and even moisturize the skin.
This mask can be done once a week to reduce inflamed acne, minimize redness, and clear the build up of dead skin — and, the best part is, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry!
- 1/2 Lemon (fresh lemons work best, but you could also use a teaspoon of lemon juice.)
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Mix lemon juice, baking soda, and honey together in a small dish. You should end up with a paste-like consistency. If it’s too runny, add a bit more baking soda.
- Wash off all makeup, dirt, and debris with your regular face wash by using warm water to open up your pores. Pat skin dry.
- Apply the mask mixture to your face and neck using gentle circular motions.
- Leave it on your skin for 5-15 minutes. You should feel some tingling and tightening of the mask. If your skin starts to burn, remove the mask immediately.
- Remove the mask with a lukewarm washcloth, using circular motions until skin is completely clean.
- Close your pores! Use the coldest water you can stand on your washcloth, and pat it across your face. Pat dry.
Moisturize with your favorite moisturizer. If you are leaving the house after using this mask, make sure you use a moisturizer containing sunscreen, or apply a separate sunscreen.