We all know that the daily use of sunscreen is essential for maintaining skin’s health. And we all know that sometimes, sticking to the routine is impossible.
I have been there, and I know how bad it feels to have sunburned cheeks, irritated skin, and dark spots as a result of the exposure to the sun.
Even if you go out to enjoy a wonderful summer day without putting sunscreen on, there are still some things you can do to soothe your skin.
One of the possibilities is an all-natural treatment that is suitable for use after sunlight exposure.
The Apple and Lemon Skin Treatment: An Overview
The unprotected exposure to sunlight can result in a number of problems. Excessive pigmentation, burnt skin, dryness and sensitivity are just some of the possible side effects. When left untreated, they can have permanent consequences.
Fortunately, nature has given us everything that we need to soothe the skin and restore its delicate balance. Using this DIY mask will undo the sun damage with a power-punch of skin lightening tannins, smoothness boosting enzymes and free radical busting vitamin C.
Lemons, apples and powdered milk are excellent for overcoming the consequences of unprotected exposure to the harmful sunrays. Consider it to be more like an antibiotic you take to stave off occasional damage rather than a supplement that replaces sunscreen.
How do these Ingredients Work?
- Apple – Apples are a vitamin and micro-nutrient powerhouse. They contain a wide range of antioxidants, polyphenols and flavonoids that have soothing qualities.
Apple puree can be used to brighten the complexion, hydrate skin after the damage caused by sunlight and even improve the anti-blemish effects of lemon juice.
Apples also contain glycolic acid which helps exfoliate and clear your pores.
- Milk – Powdered milk is the final ingredient included in the mask. It serves as a mild exfoliation substance. In addition, milk shrinks the pores and reduces irritation.
- Lemon Juice – Lemons are a wonderful source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is the active ingredient in many skin lightening creams because it affects hyper-pigmentation. The long-term use of this natural remedy will make the skin lighter, especially if you have dark spots caused by the sun.
Vitamin C is also a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin cells from the action of free radicals. It slows down the aging process and helps for skin to become smoother, plumper and much more elastic.
The mask has amazing skincare benefits, but it should be used as a last resort option for overcoming the effects of exposure to sunlight. Do your best to wear sunscreen most of the time.
You can still use the mask to hydrate your face and slow down the hands of time. When it comes to protecting your delicate skin from UV rays, however, sunscreen is still the best option.
What you need:
- 1/2 sliced apple, peeled and pureed (or you can use a grater)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp whole-fat powdered milk
1.) Peel and grate the apple (I used the mortar and pestle to puree the apple but you can use a grater instead)
2.) Once the apples are pureed, you can add the lemon juice and the milk powder. Mix all the ingredients until you’ll get a paste-like consistency.
3.) Apply this paste all over face and neck, avoiding the eye area. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse with plain water. Store the remaining paste in the refrigerator up to 1 week.