I have had a problem with bleeding gums for as long as I can remember. Mouthwash, even the specialized varieties, failed to deliver results.
I started searching for an alternative. Oil pulling came up as a natural, easy to use option.
Regardless of skepticism, I decided to give it a try. Quite soon, I started enjoying the benefits of this amazing method for getting rid of bacteria and toxins in the mouth and throat.
Did I manage to get you curious about it? Here are all the essential details that will help you decide whether oil pulling is a good option for you.
What is Oil Pulling?
Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice for getting rid of bacteria and impurities in the mouth and throat. Commercial mouthwash is designed for the same purpose but it contains chemicals.
Oil pulling basically involves you swishing oil back and forth between your teeth for 20 minutes (at least), typically using coconut oil, sesame oil or olive oil and it pulls toxins out of your body through your mouth.
The health benefits include healing/curing tooth decay, also heal bleeding gums, can naturally whiten your teeth, strengthen your jaw muscle and overall cleanse your mouth and even support weight loss as some people claimed.
In fact, periodontal disease or gingivitis or bad bacteria built up within your mouth is an indicator that you are at higher risk of heart disease.
So again it’s very important that your cleansing not just your body but your oral cavity in your mouth on a regular basis.
This is also a great thing to do to naturally freshen up your breath and give you a glowing smile.
The idea behind it is pretty simple – the oil is “sticky” and when you swish it around in your mouth, bacteria gets stuck in the oil and dissolves. Now that you understand what oil pulling is, we can discuss some of its biggest health benefits.
Oil Pulling Benefits
① Getting Rid of Harmful Bacteria
Many bacteria enter the body through the mouth. The moist and warm environment creates the perfect condition for bacterial multiplication.
Oil pulling is an excellent method for ridding the mouth and the throat of the bacterial buildup.
The presence of these bacteria is one of the biggest reasons for many dental problems like gum disease and tooth decay.
② White Teeth
The accumulation of plaque is one of the main reasons for the change in the color of your teeth. Plaque is a serious issue that could cause tooth decay.
The good news is that plaque is fat-soluble. Start pulling oil right now and the buildup will disappear gradually.
You will also notice the color of your teeth changing and the whiteness returning to your smile.
③ Fresh Breath
Halitosis or bad breath is a problem that could be caused by the accumulation of bacteria in the mouth.
Doing oil pulling for just a couple of days will help you enjoy a much fresher breath.
Gum and most types of mouthwash will simply “mask” the bad breath without addressing the root of the problem. Oil pulling will help you get rid of the bacteria, which will deliver long-term benefits.
④ Overcome Gingivitis
Inflamed gums and bleeding were the two problems that made me look for a natural and efficient remedy. I can confirm that oil pulling reduced the inflammation and made my gums a lot healthier.
Bleeding gums could be the symptom of a serious dental issue. Do not ignore it because sooner or later, it will result in serious problems that will have to be addressed through expensive and painful procedures! Start looking for a remedy now.
⑤ Mucous Drainage
After you oil pull you may experience an increased amount of mucous from your throat and/or sinuses. Although nasty, this is a good thing! Mucous drainage is a way that your body removes toxins.
Oil pulling can help clear those sinuses and alleviate allergies. So cough it up and blow it out!
⑥ Overall Health and Beauty
According to Ayurvedic practices, the bacteria found in the mouth and the toxic buildup can have a negative effect on overall health.
If you want to feel better and look more attractive, you will have to give oil pulling a try.
⑦ Detoxification and Healing
When you get rid of trouble-making toxins in your body, your overall health is improved. Oil pulling is a holistic remedy that may lessen environmental toxins in your body that can put a burden on your immune system.
Your body can develop infection and inflammation that may lead to health problems if your immune system becomes overloaded with toxins, poor diet and stress.
How to Do It:
This is by far the most effective way of oil pulling and I’ve been doing it for years and have pretty much perfected it at this point:
- After you woke up, brush and floss your teeth thoroughly with a clean brush and water. Don’t use any toothpaste as it leaves a residue of your teeth which can impact the potency of the oil.
- Dry your teeth and mouth with a cloth or paper towel. Doing this will improve oils area/surface contact with your teeth and help avoid dilution via water and spit.
- Get a teaspoon of high-quality oil and oil pull for 15-20 minutes. Be vigorous and make sure you’re swishing to getting everywhere. I normally use coconut oil.
- Spit out into the trash – NOT in your drains. Coconut oil is a solid at room temp and will clog your plumbing in the long run.
- Rinse your mouth out thoroughly with water and a brush. Be gentle on your gums.
- Do your usual toothpaste and brushing routine.
- After your last meal before bed, repeat the process. You can avoid a second daily flossing if you are concerned about your gums.
If you do this properly you will notice results instantly and within a week you WILL be shocked by the difference in your teeth color and oral hygiene. I’d recommend taking a before/after picture for comparison. Pull like a pro and you will be rewarded for it.
- Get a teaspoon of high-quality coconut, sunflower, olive or sesame oil. I tried both coconut and olive oil and I was quite happy with the results.
- If you’re like me, feel worried about the taste, you can add a drop of a high-quality essential oil. Peppermint oil will give the mix a fresh and minty taste that you are going to like.
- Begin slowly and deliberately, making sure that it passes through the gaps between the teeth. The recommended time for oil pulling is 20 minutes but attempt to do at least 10 minutes during your first session.
- The oil will absorb toxins and bacteria while it swishes in your mouth. This is why you should never swallow the oil after you are done with the pulling. Spit it all out. Get in the habit of doing oil pulling at least two times per day. Brush your teeth after you are done with the procedure.
Just a Precaution:
Your gag reflex will probably go into overdrive when you first try oil pulling. But it gets better after the oil melts in your mouth and you start swishing it around.
This inexpensive remedy can give you a healthy mouth and really benefit your overall health. You’ll be a pro at it in no time! Would you try this ancient Indian secret?
Watch the video Below ↓ ↓
Marie Black says
Wow, very informative. Thank you! I’m going to try it right now. My website is full of lots of great organic skin care products including Eminence Organics and Pevonia. Best to you!
Does this help if you have cavitys and broken teeth ?
Will this help dry mouth caused by medication
I’ve been doing the oil pulling for many months already and it actually helps with my dry mouth as well. Besides, I really noticed lots of improvements in my teeth problems.