If you want a healthy, beautiful complexion, consider using the herb, basil. While basil adds delicious flavors to many foods, it also contains important minerals and vitamins that are essential for healthy skin. A part of the mint family, this herb has so much to offer.
Benefits of Basil
Vitamin A : One benefit of this herb is that it is plentiful in vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for healthy skin, since it helps ensure that collagen and elastin are restored, which can be lost as you grow older.
This helps to prevent and treat crow’s feet, smile lines, and other fine lines and wrinkles.
Beta-Carotene: Another benefit of basil is the beta-carotene it contains. Beta-carotene is an antioxidant that helps nourish skin. It also helps to fight free radicals while protecting your skin from the damaging rays of the sun.
Free radicals and sun damage are both causes of premature aging, so the beta carotene does an outstanding job for your skin.
Anti-inflammatory and Anti-bacterial Properties: Several oils found in basil have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, including terpineol, citronellol and eugenol oils.
Since these oils fight inflammation and bacteria, basil can help eliminate and prevent acne, reducing inflammation and fighting the bacteria that cause acne in the first place.
With all the skin benefits basil has to offer, you’ll definitely want to add it to your DIY beauty arsenal. It is easy to make your own basil toner. All you’ll need is some fresh basil leaves and water.
- Start with a cup of water, boiling it in a saucepan.
- Add about 3 tbsp of basil leaves, preferably fresh and slightly crushed (or 3 tbsp dried leaves). Allow the leaves to boil in the water for 4-5 minutes, making a basil tea.
- Place a lid on the pan and remove it from the heat. Let it continue to brew and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Once the tea is at room temperature, strain the leaves out of the water, reserving the water. Add a teaspoon of witch hazel to the basil water and mix (this is optional).
- Place the liquid in a bottle and refrigerate it. It will keep for up to a week and makes about four ounces of the toner.
Using Basil Toner
After you’ve made your basil toner, you’ll want to start using it to enjoy all the skin benefits basil has to offer.
Use a cotton pad or ball, adding a teaspoon or so to the pad. Apply to a clean face, keeping it away from the mouth and eyes. You can do this a couple times a day.
For a Refreshing Morning Treatment:
Another idea is to place the toner in ice cube trays, freezing the basil toner. After cleansing skin, use a toner ice cube on your skin, which will tone and help to minimize pores. It feels amazing too and leaves you with tight, fresh, beautiful skin.