Origins offers a fabulous Activated Charcoal mask that is wonderful at treating acne. The mask offers a great spot treatment for acne, but it has a hefty price tag. Instead of paying the big bucks, consider making your own acne spot treatment using activated charcoal. It’s super easy, it’s a low cost option and it really offers great results. Use the spot treatment and you’ll be surprised at how fast that pimple disappears.
What is Activated Charcoal?
If you’re not familiar with activated charcoal, it is regular charcoal that has been heated, expanding and creating a very porous surface. The porous surface is the key to activated charcoal’s success at removing toxins, treating acne and detoxifying the body. Activated charcoal works absorbing other substances, binding them chemically to the charcoal’s surface. All the pores give activated charcoal a vast amount of surface area, which means a small bit of it can absorb a significant amount of toxins.
Benefits of Activated Charcoal for Acne
Since activated charcoal helps to remove toxins, it offers an excellent treatment for acne. It also helps treat other skin problems as well. Using the charcoal helps to draw out skin impurities, which helps to treat acne and prevent further breakouts. It can also be used to remove makeup, since the porous surface is so absorbent.
- Activated Charcoal – Powder or Pill Form (this form needs to be crushed manually) .. You can find activated charcoal at any pharmacy or health stores
- 100% Aloe Vera Gel – any aloe vera gel will do, just please make sure that it doesn’t contain any preservatives or any added ingredients.
- To make your own activated charcoal spot treatment, you’ll need some activated charcoal and some aloe vera gel. Use the powdered form if you can find it, or you can find it in pill form and crush the pill to get the powder. Once you have the activated charcoal in powder form, you can mix it with some all-natural aloe vera gel. Add enough of the gel to create a very thick paste.
- After making the paste, apply it immediately to the affected areas. Add it right to the acne spot and you can also add it to any areas that are prone to acne. Leave the paste on skin, allowing it to dry. Wait for at least 30 minutes, since the charcoal does its best work once it dries. Wash off after 30-40 minutes.
- Place any leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days and used as needed. It is best to make a small amount so you don’t end up throwing any away.