Many people turn to a liver cleanse to improve health and lose weight. The liver removes toxins from your body, basically acting as its filter.
Your liver may be overworked because of many factors including hormones, environmental pollution including pesticides, caffeine, alcohol, sugar and sweeteners, trans fats or drugs.
The liver cannot metabolize fat properly when it is stressed. An overworked liver also can lead to acne, hormonal imbalances including PMS, difficulty digesting fats, flatulence and bloating, feeling tired after eating, weak tendons and muscles, irritability or rage and depression.
Benefits of the Ingredients
- The above mentioned benefits are just some of the healing properties of turmeric but it all goes back to the healing roots of turmeric – as a liver tonic. When you cleanse your liver, you might notice that your digestive system is working better, your bowel movement is regular, you lose excess weight, you have clearer skin and bright eyes, you’re sleeping better and many others.
- The addition of ginger doubles the anti-inflammatory effect. Always have ginger at home because it works wonders for our body and helps fight off bacteria when you’re suffering from stomach flu or diarrhea. It is also a very effective digestive aid and it’s great for arthritis.
- Lemon is another great detoxifier. Upon waking up in the morning, it’s good to drink a glass of warm water with a few drops of lemon juice. If you drink a lot of lemon juice, it would be wise to rinse your mouth with water because the acidity of the lemon can corrode the teeth.
Now, to prepare fresh turmeric root, it is best to wear disposable gloves and be prepared to have all your utensils stained with yellow. So, preparing a solution of baking soda, white vinegar and water to wash everything that has been stained with turmeric is a very good idea.
If turmeric could stain everything, it could also stain your teeth. So, brush your teeth after drinking this tea. (Your toothbrush will be stained too).
Since fresh turmeric root is hard to find for some, just use the ground turmeric. They will still work wonders, and you still need to be careful when using them.
Although turmeric and ginger is good for you, avoid taking large doses most especially if you have gallstones, bleeding disorders, overly acidic stomach or are pregnant or nursing.
Also, avoid large doses if you are taking any medication that contains blood thinner. The following recipe yields 4 cups and can drink in one day without any side effects.
Turmeric Tea – Nature’s Liver Detox
Providing your body with liver supportive herbs and spices is a wonderful way to detox your liver. Turmeric is a powerful liver cleansing spice. Incorporating this spice into your nutrition will help support and detoxify your liver and provide potent anti-inflammatory benefits.
My favorite way to incorporate turmeric into my diet is by making a tasty and comforting turmeric tea. It’s slightly sweet, mildly spicy and incredibly delicious. It tastes very similar to a chai tea.
Turmeric tea is a delightful way to heal, cleanse and detoxify your body and liver. But that’s not all! Turmeric is said to be the world’s most famous spice because of the long list of health benefits.
Other benefits of turmeric tea:
- Body and liver detoxifier
- Boost immunity by improving liver function
- Cleanses and purifies the blood
- Eases symptoms of coughs and colds
- Improves circulation in the body
- Improves skin complexion
- Prevents internal bleed clotting
- Protects liver tissue
- Reduces bad cholesterol
- Reduces inflammation – such as all types of arthritis and other inflammation
- Stimulates secretion of bile which helps break down fat
Turmeric, Ginger and Lemon Tonic Tea recipe
- ¼ cup grated fresh turmeric root (or 1 tbsp ground turmeric but fresh is the best)
- 2 tbsp grated fresh ginger root
- 4 cups water
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup agave nectar or honey
To prepare the tea, peel and grate the turmeric and the ginger root. Place in a soup pot and add water. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
Strain the mixture into a clean glass container. Allow the mixture to cool for about 5 minutes.
Then, juice the lemon and pour into the turmeric tea along with the agave nectar or honey.
This infusion can also be drunk at room temperature.